When looking for self-defense information, there is so much focus on fighting styles, weapons, and ultimate fighting systems, that it’s easy to miss the real world, no nonsense, self-defense techniques that can help you avoid most dangerous situations.
Many dangerous situations can be avoided by simply paying attention to your environment and the people around, a.k.a. situational awareness. And many situations can be de-escalated before they become truly dangerous. The best way to survive a dangerous situation, a fight, etc, is to avoid it if at all possible.
Some time ago I came across an excellent self-defense resource that talks about the many, many, many varied aspects of self-defense and handling dangerous situations in the smartest and least dangerous way possible:
No Nonsense Self -Defense – “Reliable information for dangerous situations”
They cover these many topics in excellent detail, and going through this information will give you some good insights into how to keep yourself and your family safe.
Here are in my opinion some of the top tips they offer for avoiding dangerous situations (these are must read):
- Robbery avoidance: Tips on how to avoid being robbed or attached
- Fringe areas: where an attack is most likely to happen – and how to avoid it
There’s also many other of excellent articles and tips on how to avoid danger and stay safe, including:
- Carjacking avoidance: Tips on how to avoid being carjacked
- Violence: It ISN’T What You Think It Is
- The Five Stages of Violent Crime – how to tell when danger is developing
- The Types of Violence – and how to avoid them
- Violence de-escalation
- Negotiation: Out At The Sharp End
- Threat Display Behavior – designed to frighten an opponent away and avoid a fight
- The Monkey Dance
- Respect, Props, and Alpha
- Violence Never Solved Anything … Yeah Right
- Lethal Force – when it can be used, and what it means legally
Disclaimer: the above information is provided as opinion only, and is in no way intended as legal or professional guidance of any kind.